Entrepreneurship Development Cell
The EDC at GIET is a self-financing body serving the very need by cultivating entrepreneurial tendencies in our students, so as to meet the Vision and Mission of our institution and Government of India. The Government has identified ‘Entrepreneurship’ as one of the principal mechanisms for the mitigation of Unemployment and Under- employment amongst Science & Technology Graduates in the country today. It is an initiative that aims at cultivating the spirit of entrepreneurship amongst the students on the campus. National Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board (NSTEDB), set up in 1982 under the DST, felt that the EDCs, in some contexts known as Innovation & Entrepreneurship Development Cells (IEDCs), created in the Educational Institutions would not only help in strengthening Industry-Institute Interaction, but also promote Entrepreneurial Culture in Technical Institutions and Institutes of Higher Learning. In order to make optimal use of Facilities, Expertise and know-how available in the Technical Institutions, it has been necessary that appropriate links are established between Institutions and the Industry. Special emphasis has been laid on Entrepreneurship and Self-Employment, keeping in view the present mandate of Trained Manpower that graduates out of Technical Institutions. Our EDC cell also encouraged and proved in starting and supporting start-ups in GIET and around through various outreach events.
Objectives of Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- To act as an institutional mechanism for providing various services including information on all aspect of enterprise building to budding S&T entrepreneurs.
- To foster better linkages between the Parent Institution, Industries and R&D institutions in the region and other related organizations engaged in promoting Small & Medium Enterprises(SMEs).
- To catalyze and promote development of S&T knowledge-based enterprises and promote employment opportunities in the innovative areas.
- To respond effectively to the emerging challenges and opportunities both at national and international level relating to SMEs and micro enterprises.
Functions of Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- To organize Entrepreneurship Awareness Camps, Entrepreneurship Development Programmes and Faculty Development Programmes in the region for the benefit of S&T persons.
- To develop and introduce curriculum on Entrepreneurship Development at various levels including degree/diploma courses of the parent institution and other institutes in the region.
- To conduct research work and survey for identifying entrepreneurial opportunities (particularly in S&T areas and service sector).
- To render advice to sick enterprises and assist the entrepreneurs in rehabilitating them.
- To guide and assist prospective entrepreneurs on various aspects such as preparing project reports, obtaining project approvals, loans and facilities from agencies of support system, information on technologies, etc.
- To organize guest lectures, TV & Radio talks,Seminars, etc. for promotion and growth of S&T based entrepreneurship.
- To arrange visits to industries for prospective entrepreneurs.
- To extend necessary guidance and escort services to the trainees in obtaining approval and execution of their projects.
- To act as a Regional Information Centre on business opportunities, processes, technologies, market, etc. by creating and maintaining relevant data bases.
- To provide testing, calibration, quality assurance, R&D, design, tool room, pilot plant and other facilities for entrepreneurs besides expertise in intellectual property rights, patents search, etc.
- To conduct skill development training programmes leading to self/wage employment.