Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is a national level Abhiyan by the Government of India covering 4041 statutory towns to clean the streets, roads and infrastructure of the country; launched on 2 October 2014 at Rajghat, New Delhi, where Prime Minister Narendra Modi himself wielded broom and cleaned a road. The Abhiyan is India's biggest ever cleanliness drive and 3 million government employees and schools and colleges students of India participated in this event. The mission was started by Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India, nominating nine famous personalities for this Abhiyan, and they take up the challenge and nominate nine more people and so on.
In pursuant to the vision of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Gandhi Institute for Education and Technology (GIET) has launched the special cleanliness drive and has formally constituted a committee to monitor and coordinate cleanliness activities in the college. The broad plan of action will be as follows:
1. Generating mass awareness on cleanliness and hygiene amongst students and staff members by holding regular ‘Sensitization Programmes’ on ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ so as to motivate them to contribute to this Campaign in a proactive manner.
2. Activities under ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ will be a key component of all the community work being done by NSS volunteers of the college.
3. Students and Teachers will regularly participate in the special cleanliness drive in the college campus on continuing basis.
4. Events such as poster and slogan competitions, essay writing, poetry writing/ reciting, speeches, skits on ‘Swachh Bharat’ will be organized.
5. Rallies on themes connected with ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ in and around the college campus will be conducted to create mass awareness on such issues.
6. Eminent people will be invited to address students and staff members on issues connected with ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’.
7. Removal of all kind of waste material like broken furniture, unusable equipments etc and weeding out the old books and journals not in use from the library.
8. Administration of the Mass pledge by students and staff members to maintain cleanliness of the college campus and its surrounding areas on regular basis.
9. Conduct of workshop on the reuse and recycle of the waste material.
10.Constitution of the subcommittee to conduct the regular inspection of the toilets, corridors and surrounding of college building.